Medicare Frequently Asked Questions
What questions should I consider when choosing a Medicare health plan?
Before you select a plan, carefully consider the following questions:
- Do you already have a doctor?
- Are you choosing a new doctor?
- Is freedom to choose doctors and hospitals necessary to you?
- Do you need a prescription drug plan?
- What drugs are covered by the plan’s formulary?
- Does your doctor feel comfortable with the plan’s guidelines
for your treatment?
What is Medicare Part D drug benefit?
As of January 1, 2006, anyone entitled to Medicare Part A or enrolled in Medicare Part B, regardless of income, was able to take advantage of the prescription drug benefit. This benefit is designed to help Medicare beneficiaries handle the rising cost of drugs and give them easier access to prescription medications.
What type of information can I expect to receive from Medicare about the PDP,
and what are the enrollment dates?
Here’s a quick review of the key dates and deadlines for the upcoming enrollment dates:
- October 1 Benefit and premium information is available from all plans, so you can shop and compare and be ready to enroll by October 15.
- October 15 – December 7 of each year (Annual Election Period, AEP): Medicare beneficiaries can enroll in a Medicare health benefits plan, such as a Medicare Advantage HMO plan, Original Medicare, or a stand-alone prescription drug plan (PDP).
What is Cost-Sharing?
Cost-sharing occurs when patients pay for a portion of health care costs not covered by
health insurance. Examples include copays (any fixed “copayment” amount that a plan
requires when a specific service or drug is received), deductibles (any deductible amount
a plan may impose before services or drugs are covered) and coinsurance (any “coinsurance”
amount, a percentage of the total amount paid for a service or drug, that a plan requires
when a specific service or drug is received .
Where can I get more information about Medicare Advantage plans and my Social
For more Medicare information you can call – or go online – for answers about your coverage.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
7500 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
24 hours a day; seven days a week
Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquires
Windsor Park Blvd.
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235
Monday thru Friday
8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Railroad Retirement Board
Chicago District Office
844 N. Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2092
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Learn more about HealthSun Health Plans, Inc.'s Medicare Advantage plans by calling 305-447-4458 or 1-877-336-2069
seven days a week from 8:30am to 5:30pm. TTY users should call: 1-877-206-0500 TTY: 1-877-206-0500.
HealthSun Health Plans, Inc. is a Medicare Advantage Organization with a Medicare contract.